Desensitisation (specific immunotherapy, hyposensitisation) is still the only causal treatment that results for certain allergies in a complete relief of symptoms. The therapy requires a comprehensive assessment through the specialist.
Therapy and treatment
Desensitisation (specific immunotherapy, hyposensitisation) is a therapy used for IgE-mediated Type I allergies. It is carried out in cases of allergy symptoms connected with pollen allergy, house dust mite allergy, possibly in animal allergies and mould allergy.
In the case of insect venom allergies (bee and wasp stings), desensitisation therapy is often life-saving and therefore must absolutely be recommended.
The relevant allergens are injected under the skin in ascending doses (SCIT – subcutaneous immunotherapy) or placed under the tongue as tablets or drops (SLIT – sublingual immunotherapy). The aim is to build up immunological protection that will prevent further allergic reactions. The body then becomes "accustomed to the allergen".
A desensitisation therapy is successful if the symptoms are greatly reduced or – the best-case scenario – they no longer appear at all.
aha! Swiss Allergy Centre helps
- The booklet "Allergies – simple to explain" is available in English
- Education and courses on the subject "Allergy, asthma, chronic bronchitis" (in German)
- Apps for smartphones: e-symptoms, PasseportAllergie (in German, French, Italian and English)
- Products and services awarded the Swiss Allergy Label – an added benefit for sufferers.
- Experts on the aha!infoline will be happy to answer personal queries: Monday to Friday, 08.30–12.00.
- aha!shop: other booklets and factsheets provides detailed information and are available in German, French, Italian
- aha!kinderlager for children with allergies aged between 8 and 12 years (in German or French)
- aha!jugendcamp for youngsters aged between 13 and 16 years (in German)
- Other education and courses on the subject "Neurodermatitis", "Anaphylaxis" (in German)
- We value your opinion. Or would you like to exchange experiences with other sufferers? Find out more in german under "Advice and exchange" (in German)
- Your donation will enable us to provide important services to people with allergies, asthma and neurodermatitis. Your support will be put to effective use. Many thanks.