Desensitisation (specific immunotherapy, hyposensitisation) is still the only causal treatment that results for certain allergies in a complete relief of symptoms. The therapy requires a comprehensive assessment through the specialist.
Desensitisation (specific immunotherapy, hyposensitisation)
Desensitisation is a therapy used for IgE-mediated Type I allergies. It is carried out in cases of allergy symptoms connected with pollen allergy, house dust mite allergy, possibly in animal allergies and mould allergy. In the case of insect venom allergies (bee and wasp stings), desensitisation therapy is often life-saving and therefore must absolutely be recommended. The relevant allergens are injected under the skin in ascending doses (SCIT – subcutaneous immunotherapy) or placed under the tongue as tablets or drops (SLIT – sublingual immunotherapy). The aim is to build up immunological protection that will prevent further allergic reactions. The body then becomes “accustomed to the allergen”.
A desensitisation therapy is successful if the symptoms are greatly reduced or – the best-case scenario – they no longer appear at all.
aha! Swiss Allergy Centre helps
- aha! keeps a list of HF/FH certified and experienced nutritionists who have qualified and recognized training and have completed advanced training on the subject of food allergies and intolerances. Nutritionists
- aha!shop: Booklets and factsheets provides detailed information and are available in German, French, Italian. The booklet "Allergies – simple to explain" and the questionnaire "Do I have an allergy" is available in English
- Experts on the aha!infoline will be happy to answer personal queries: Monday to Friday, 08.30–12.00.
- Products and services awarded the Swiss Allergy Label – an added benefit for sufferers.
- aha!kinderlager for children with allergies aged between 8 and 12 years: holidays full of variety with lots of sports, play and fitness. Under expert supervision, children learn to deal better with their allergies and/or asthma.
- aha!jugendcamp for youngsters aged between 13 and 16 years: a broad range of sports and leisure activities, skilled leaders tackle aspects of allergic diseases in adolescence.
- Education and courses on the subjects "Allergy, asthma, chronic bronchitis", "Anaphylaxis" and "Neurodermatitis"
- We value your opinion. Or would you like to exchange experiences with other sufferers? Find out more under "Beratung und Austausch"
- Your donation will enable us to provide important services to people with allergies, asthma and neurodermatitis. Many thanks. Your support will be put to effective use.